Monday, June 16, 2008

Tennis in Sequim

Yesterday was Fathers Day and probably the most beautiful day of the year. Not to say most every day isn’t beautiful in sunny Sequim, but yesterday the sun was out the whole day not just peeking out from behind the passing clouds.

But I wander a bit off track as this post is about tennis in Sequim and not the weather in Sequim. You see I’m a tennis player transplanted from the Big Island of Hawaii, where the sun also shines but big difference is it warms the air allowing one to run around in shorts and a t- shirt when playing tennis.

Ten months ago I had surgery on a torn meniscus and was forced to lay off tennis until this spring. The knee was feeling much better and we went back to Hawaii in April. The sun was shinning and the air was warm and tennis called. It was there I got back in the tennis groove and when we returned to Sequim I went in search of a game.

The only game in town open to the public are the courts at Sequim High School. Now these are not the best and they are not the worst courts I’ve played on but you know if you really like to play tennis then its not the courts that matter. What matters are your fellow tennis players and I can say without a doubt the group of players that show at 8 o’clock in the morning weekdays are some great guys and gals who enjoy the game. I mean you got to enjoy the game to come out there in 50 degree weather, all bundled up like you are going skiing. Sure the sun comes out and maybe you have to shed a sweatshirt but let me tell you the air isn’t going to warm up much.

That brings me back to yesterday, Fathers Day, and that beautiful day when the air did warm up and I donned my shorts and tee shirt, grabbed my tennis racquet and headed for the courts. However it being Sunday we had a different group of players than the older retired players during the week also a great bunch of people willing to take in a fellow tennis player. I had a great time and hope for more sunny days with warm air. All I can say tennis is alive and well in Sequim.

If you are coming to Sequim bring the tennis racquet and stay with us at our Bell Hill View vacation rental. We’ll go hit some balls. Hope to see you in Sequim. Keoki

No comments: